Background of the Study
Globally, a strong library programme that is adequately staffed, resourced and funded can lead to higher student achievement(Crawford, 2015). Also a strong computer network connecting the library’s resources to the classroom and laboratories has an influence on students’ achievement. Libraries can make a positive difference to students’ self-esteem, confidence, independence and sense of responsibility in regard to their own learning (Lonsdale, 2003). Spreadbury and Spiller (1999) in a survey showed the situation of library use between state and independent schools. The study examined an interesting issue concerning the differences in provision of library services between state and independent schools. The study determined that only 7% of children in the UK attended independent state schools and their performance in terms of examination results was generally better than that of the other 93%. This might have been due to various factors including the amount of education provided and the degree of parental support given to their pupils.
Spreadbury and Spiller (1999) came up with the findings which showed that students’ access to libraries was very much limited.They only had to use libraries during break time and lunch hours whereas, during this timemany other interactions took place. In some cases libraries were used as meeting rooms. Moreover, the library staffs were very few; asa result, in state schools it became difficult to open the library when students wanted to use them. In their study, they also compared state schools and independent schools in the use of library; whereby theycame up with the results which showedthat in state schools,more pupils used public librariescompared to students in independent schools due to geographical location from their homes to school. Most students were found to live very faraway from schools.
Moruf (2015) showed the situation of library use by secondary schools students in Akinyele local government area of Oyostate. The study further determined that functional libraries were available in some schools, especially private schools andthere were also libraries in most public schools but they were non-functional. The sources of funding in private school libraries were mainly through students levy. Moreover the level of government intervention in funding school libraries in Oyostate was low which resulted into libraries not being properly utilized in public schools due to inadequate resources, poor funding and lack of adequate provision for school library development. Library use as a strategy for teaching and learning process suggests that in implementation of ordinary level secondary education curriculumstudents should conduct searches for relevant materials in the library and online whereby there is interaction of students and materials, students to have independent study skills using several materials from the libraries like books, electronic materials and journals (For instance the geography teachers manual (2011) sub topic Hydro electric power (HEP) and Biogas in Tanzania, provides a student activity which directs students to conduct library search and make class presentation on the HEP and Biogas in Tanzania). Moreoverstudent-student materialsinvolve a discussion among students using different books and other sources of materials from libraries and teacher student materials which involve teachers’ directive to the students to find out materials from various sources, including the library. That means libraries are not only critical for facilitating the teaching and learning process, but they also enhance self-learning, whereby owners and managers of secondary schools have to ensure that their schools have standard libraries which are well stocked and up to date reading materials and made easily accessible to students of different abilities(MOEVT, 2007).
Statement of the Problem
The existence of library resources in secondary schoolshelp students to do their homework out of class hours and provide learning environmentfor those students whose home environment does not support learning. Moreover libraries can make a positive difference to students’ self-esteem, confidence, independence and sense of responsibility as regards to their own learning.Secondary school education is supposed to be the foundation toward higher knowledge in tertiary institutions. The Education and Training Policy of 2014 in Nigeria, stipulates that secondary school education is an instrument for national development that fosters the worth and development of the individual for further education and development. The mentioned aim of secondary school education is being threatened by students’ poor academic performance.
How to get complete project materials
Step 1: make payment of N2,000 to the below bank details
NAME: TITUS AYANI SOLA
BANK: FIRST BANK PLC
ACCT NO: 3111741042
ACCOUNT TYPE: SAVINGS
NAME: TITUS AYANI SOLA
BANK: GTB BANK
ACCT NO: 0262412831
ACCOUNT TYPE: SAVINGS