This research work was designed to examine the decline in senior secondary school geography environment and the factor responsible for this in Ekiti State with particular reference to Ekiti West Local Government Area of Ekiti State.
The problem of the study centred around the lack of qualified Geography teacher leading to poor handling of the subject. The lack of the use of adequate instructional material and facilities, the wide scope of the geography syllabus, the method of teaching and in senior secondary school Geopgraphy examination. In this bid, opinion of various authors or researcher were sought by reviewing related literature. Four questions were possed for the study and to provides answer to the questions two type of questionnaire were used. The questionnaire there are five secondary schools in Ekiti West Local Government and the five schools were used for the study. One hundred and twenty (120) students and six (6) teachers were involved in the study. Also the senior secondary schools enrolment from 2007 to 2010 was collected from the five schools. The data obtained were analysed using percentage as the statistical technique and the following findings were reached.
- There is a dedining trend in senior secondary school enrolment for geography.
- The wide scope of the geography syllabus affect enrolment for the subject in senior secondary teachers scare students away from the subject
- The lack of the use of adequate instructional aid and facilities render the subject abstract and thus makes students develop lukewarm attitude towards geography leading to a decline at the senior secondary school levels.
In the light of these findings, relevant recommendations were proposed for implementation, some of which are as follows;
- Geography should be made compulsory at the school certificate level and the scope of regional geography be narrowed to only Nigeria and West Africa.
- More period should be allocated in the time table.
- Teacher of Geography should have both the academic professional qualification and the pedagogy before allowed to teach geography in secondary school.
- Regular workshop and seminar should be organized for teachers and excursion field work for students.
CONTACT US FOR COMPLETE PROJECT MATERIAL
How to get complete project materials
Step 1: make payment of N2,000 to the below bank details
NAME: TITUS AYANI SOLA
BANK: FIRST BANK PLC
ACCT NO: 3111741042
ACCOUNT TYPE: SAVINGS